Graziani Family Recipe For Stuffed Cannelloni
The stuffed cannelloni is a traditional fresh pasta recipe from the Emilia Romagna region, but it’s made in many different ways, varying not only from region to region, but also from home to home. The stuffed cannelloni is a very delicate and tasty first course, sure to become a family favorite. This cannelloni recipe is stuffed with meat, but you can adjust the filling according to your taste or that of your guests, of course.
Ingredients for filling 10 cannelloni
- Ground Pork : 100 g (3.5 oz)
- Ground Beef: 200 g (7 oz)
- Ham: prosciutto 50 g (prosciutto 1.8 oz)
- Oil: 3 tbsp (3 tbsp)
- Onions: (1 small)
- Parmesan cheese: 50 g (½ cup)
- Breadcrumbs: 1 tbsp (1 tbsp)
- Salt: to taste (to taste)
- Pepper: ground, to taste (ground, to taste)
- Eggs: (2 medium)
For the fresh egg pasta
- Flour: 300 g (less than 2 ½ cups)
- Eggs: (3 large)
For the bechamel sauce
- Milk: fresh ½ lt (fresh 1 pint)
- Butter: 40 g (1/3 stick)
- Flour: 30 g (¼ cup)
- Nutmeg: (grated, to taste)
- Salt: (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese: grated 25 g (grated ¼ cup)
For the tomato sauce
- Oil: (3 tbsp)
- Garlic: (1 clove)
- Salt: (to taste)
- Basil: (a few leaves)
- Tomatoes: puree 300 ml (1 ¼ cups)
- Canned tomato sauce: (300 ml)
- Parmesan cheese: grated 15 g (grated 3 tbsp).
To prepare the stuffed cannelloni, first make the fresh egg pasta.
- Put the flour in a large bowl, make a well in the middle and add the eggs
- Knead to form a smooth dough, then cover with cling film
- Allow to rest for at least an hour in a cool place
- Chop the onion, sauté in a pan with oil until soft, add the ground meat, the ground pork, the chopped prosciutto and the ground beef
- Cook until browned, pressing the meat with a spoon or a fork, then add salt and pepper, and remove from the heat.
- Allow the meat to cool (if it’s coarse-grained, process for a few seconds until finely ground)
- Then add 2 eggs, the breadcrumbs and the parmesan cheese and bring the mixture together
- The resulting mixture should be quite dry.
Move on to the tomato sauce...
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and sauté the garlic until light brown
- Add the tomato puree, salt and allow the flavors to meldd for 10-15 minutes on a medium flame,
- Then turn off the heat and add the basil (6).
Then prepare the béchamel sauce with the quantities given above, following the recipe on our website (see the above ingredient list)
- Once the dough has at least an hour in a cool place, roll it out to a thickness of 1/10-inch (2 mm) and cut out 10 rectangles, about 4 inches (10 cm) wide by 6 inches (15 cm) long.
- Boil the egg pasta sheets in salted water for about 3-4 minutes, then drain and place on a clean cloth
Now assemble the cannelloni AND finish the preperation...
- Place the filling in the middle of each rectangle
- Then roll up the dough, ending with the seam side down, and arrange them in a baking pan, that has been greased with a little oil and coated with tomato sauce
- When the baking pan is full, coat the cannelloni with the béchamel sauce
- Then spread a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce and finish by sprinkling the grated parmesan cheese on top
- Bake the cannelloni in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for 40 minutes, then raise the temperature to 390°F (200°C) for another 10 minutes or until the surface turns golden brown
- Remove the cannelloni from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.